June 6, 2012

Cloth Diapering

Pin It Now!

Cloth diapering, of CD'ing, isn't just for hippie mamas anymore!  Where I live it's very common for moms to cloth diaper.  ACtually, most of the kids in our daycare where cloth - which I love!

So why do I use cloth?

First and foremost, it's cheaper.  Disposable diapers average about $1,600 to $2,000 for the first 2 years of a child's life.  That's if you're lucky enough to have your child potty-trained at age 2.  I have a boy, so that's not quite realistic.  So you can add on an additional $600 - $1,000.  That's a lot of money!

I purchased several different types of cloth diapers.  I have the basic prefolds with covers, then a little bit of everything else.  I found lots of deals online on Craigslist and Ebay, some at consignment stores, and several I purchased new for a deep discount on Black Friday.  And yes, it's safe to purchase used.  I use the sanitary cycle on my washer and a splash of bleach and my diapers are like new.

Secondly, I cloth diaper for the environment.  Disposable diapers are the third largest item in landfills.  During the course of infancy, a child in disposables will create over 1 ton of garbage added to our landfills.  That's a lot of trash, folks.

There are also tons of perks to cloth.  They're super cute and come in great colors and patterns.  They are gentler on baby's skin and can cut down on diaper rash, and for a baby with sensitive skin like my kiddo that's really important.

Here's a list of some of our favorite cloth diapers:

Flip Diapers - These are covers with a simple, removable insert.  They also sell disposable inserts for travel.

Thirsties Covers - PUL covers that go over a prefold.

Fuzzi Bunz Pockets - Easy to use diaper with a removable insert that slips into a "pocket".

For more cloth diapering info I highly recommend the book Changing Diapers: The Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering.





No comments:

Post a Comment