Here's some of the most interesting things that have been taxed:
- Bachelors (England in 1695 A.D., and Missouri in 1820 A.D.)
- Beards (Russia, 1702 A.D.)
- Cooking Oil (Ancient Egypt, approximately 2000 B.C.)
- Souls (Russia, approximately 1682 A.D.)
- Urine (Rome, 1 A.D.)
Besides taxing beards and souls, Peter the Great of Russia also taxed: hats, boots, beehives, basements, chimneys, food, clothing, birth, marriage, and burial.
- From the University of Illinois at Chicago Library
- It costs $2.45 for the IRS to collect each $100 in taxes.
- 21% of paper returns have errors.
- 0.5% of e-file returns have errors.
- Aztecs used cocoa beans for money. Owners were taxed four cocoa beans for one rabbit.
Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of
membership in an organized society. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt